Monday, December 1, 2014

[Christmas Calendar] Day 1: Romanssi


Heartstrings drowned in cobweb
anticipate the urge
quick flutter can beget;
tug and bend a dirge.




Palasin ja tiesin, vihdoinkin saisin suuren tarinan ainekset 

Taas saisin juosta huolestuneena onnellisten loppujen puolesta 
Aina tämä sama, aina sama ristiriita 
Pysyäkö täällä vai kadota hyvällä säällä 
Niin tai ei mut, no joo

On niin ihana saada tuntea itsensä yksinäiseksi 

On ihanaa, saa tuntea ikävää 
Hyvä luoja toimi, lähde jätkä ja poimi 
romanssi 

Kai rakkaus on vain tarve olla joku muu

Hei, ei riitä pelkkä maine enää
Aina tämä sama, aina sama apatia
Asuako täällä vai kadota hyvällä säällä 

On niin ihana saada tuntea itsensä yksinäiseksi
On ihanaa, saa tuntea kaihoa

Hyvä luoja toimi, lähde jätkä ja poimi
romanssi

Toivon ettei kukaan tule, silti vielä odotan

menneitä ja tulleita, niitä täällä läpi käyn
Niitä pääni läpi käy


On niin ihana saada tuntea itsensä yksinäiseksi

Romanssi

(Photo and poem © 2014 Joona TurunenLicensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0.)

("Romanssi" by Maj Karman Kauniit Kuvat. Lyrics by Frank Mäntymäki, music by Pekka Piirinen. © & ℗ Johanna Kustannus Oy 2001.)

1 comment:

Joona said...

This year, I am explaining some of the background behind my choices for the calendar, so if you'd like to read about the deeper intentions I've had, make sure to check the comments section for each post. I already had some rules and categories while doing the calendar in previous years, but I kept them rather private. This time around these details are more intricate than ever before, and I thought that for those who are interested it would be fun to know what these posts are all about. So here you are!

In 2014, each Monday is a day of romantic undertones in my calendar. Of course, there will be love-centered entries throughout the course of the 24 days, but the pieces I've chosen for Mondays will have something special and take it all even further. First, for the non-Finnish speakers, I have made a rough translation of the lyrics for Romanssi:

"I came back and I knew I'd finally have the ingredients for a great story / I'd get to run again, worried, for the sake of happy endings / Always this same, always the same conflict / Should I stay here or leave while I still can /Yes, or no but, well yeah // It's so lovely to feel lonely / It's lovely, one gets to feel yearning / Dear god, would you just act, go ahead, man, and pick up / a romance // I guess love is just need to be someone else / Hey, fame alone is not enough anymore / Always this same, always the same apathy / Should I live here or leave while I still can // It's so lovely to feel lonely / It's lovely, one gets to feel longing / Dear god, would you just act, go ahead, man, and pick up / a romance // I hope that no one comes, still I keep waiting / for ones that have come and gone, I go through them here /My head goes through them // It's so lovely to feel lonely / A romance"

Obviously the photo, poem and song are chosen to correspond with each other as perfectly as possible. Having said that, every poem is written on the day it's posted, and the music and visual serve as more of an inspiration than a definite direction for it. My intended meanings for the poems I will not discuss in detail, for that would consume too much time and energy, from everyone. But if anyone has questions or would like to share their own interpretation, I am more than happy to receive them. :)

As for the visual aspect, I am departing from my usual text colors this year and utilizing a unique color for each day of the week. In other words, the recurring nature of the colors remains, but with new colors included, such as the purple of today (Mondays). In terms of the photos I am continuing my tradition from last year and using a cyclic, seasonal pattern, starting with a photo I took last Spring. There's something both gorgeous and haunting about this particular photo that I think fits well with the whole theme of longing the post is supposed to evoke as a whole.

That's about it for today's ramblings. Thanks for the attention and stay tuned for tomorrow!