Wednesday, December 10, 2014

[Christmas Calendar] Day 10: Coming Undone


In the place of dopamine this body grows venom
sliding from new heaven towards an old malady
The more that it fixates, the farther equilibrium
catacombs, calculations, phobias, mistakes.



Keep holding on when my brain's ticking like a bomb
Guess the black thoughts have come again to get me
Sweet bitter words unlike nothing I have heard
Sing along mocking bird, you don't affect me

That's right, deliver it to my heart
Please strike, be deliberate

Wait, I'm coming undone
Irate, I'm coming undone
Too late, I'm coming undone
One look so strong, so delicate
Wait, I'm starting to suffocate
And so I anticipate
I'm coming undone
One look so strong, so delicate

Choke choke again, I find my demons were my friends
Getting me in the end, they're out to get me
Since I was young I've tasted sorrow on my tongue
And this sweet sugar gun does not protect me

That's right, trigger between my eyes
Please strike, make it quick now

I'm trying to hold it together
Head is lighter than a feather
Looks like I'm not getting better

(Photo and poem © 2014 Joona Turunen. Licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0.)
("Coming Undone" by Korn. Lyrics & music by Korn & The Matrix. © & ℗ 2005 Virgin Records.)

1 comment:

Joona said...

Korn is the second band I saw live this year, at the same club gig as Hacktivist in May. Coming Undone was a definite highlight of the set and an inspiring choice for this entry. The photo is from last Summer, at a place just on the other side of the road as the place shot in the photo for day 5. It was chosen due to the line "one look so strong, so delicate": this little leaf I dropped into the water looks oh-so-vulnerable yet sweet in this setting, I think. The poem deals with the difficulty of dealing with a specific mental disorder, which of course may easily make the victim of it feel like they're "coming undone".