Saturday, December 13, 2014

[Christmas Calendar] Day 13: Brave


Fragrances
heroic compassing
fragrances


Dissonance in the gut
Carpets sustain blood
House is burning up
mud
in a detached pond.



If you didn't know
all the moments when I lose myself
I would tell the world
I'm catching flies by now
speaking to someone
breaking the windows
This house is dead

The sound of falling
when the pictures are moving
between the memories

The sound of falling
when the pictures are moving
dead in time

Brave, try the meaning of loss
I know your smile is deadly at this point
wherever you are, I am not


If you didn't know
all the moments when I lose myself
I would tell the world
I guess I should know
the limits of the world
There are moments I find myself
not breathing at all


(Photo and poem © 2014 Joona Turunen. Licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0.)
("Brave" by Katatonia. Lyrics  by Jonas Renkse, music by Katatonia. © & ℗ 2014 Peaceville Records Ltd.)

1 comment:

Joona said...

I must start by saying it out loud for the first time ever: Brave by Katatonia is probably my favorite song of all time. There are no words to describe how much this song has touched me in the 2½ years that it has been present in my life, adapting time and time again to my personal life situations and causing endless admiration even from a less emotional standpoint. I'm not really sure if the Last Fair Day Gone Night live version I've included here is better than the original studio recording from Brave Murder Day, but it's still absolutely heart-tearing and wonderful. I guess what I'm trying to say with all of this hype is that Brave was a privileged choice as the second Jonas Renkse track to be included in this calendar, and the one to be posted on Saint Lucia's day precisely. This time I hold the right to not share anything whatsoever about the motivation behind the photo and the inspiration for the poem. I am hoping the mood is set all on its own and takes you where you want to go.