Friday, December 19, 2014

[Christmas Calendar] Day 19: Ugly In The Morning


Hollow, new orthodox spasm
only wanes your potential
to brush thick seven strokes
to the canvas of men
Digging the layers of cache
- powder and bones buried -
their axe of half-lucidity
only bares the pot essential:
comforting wraiths.


You did one thing wrong, you woke up
It looked better before, more, more

And the stomach turns
Say nothing without wasting a word
I know exactly what you meant
I know how piggy feels
he starves without missing a meal
It's in the mirror

Don't look at me I'm ugly in the morning

When the headache's gone the skies not
Forgot to turn the alarm on, on

It doesn't matter how much you think
or the number of hairs in the sink
I did it to myself again
I know how piggy feels
he starves without missing a meal
It's getting clearer


(Photo and poem © 2014 Joona Turunen. Licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0.)
("Ugly In The Morning" by Faith No More. Lyrics by Mike Patton, music by Billy Gould, Mike Patton & Trey Spruance. ℗ & © 1995 Slash Records.)

1 comment:

Joona said...

The poem for this one utilizes references to a rainbow to the extent that the picture from Sunday's entry might have been more fitting, but since it's the wrong season and I already used it, I went for this shot taken in September instead. It's a bit far-fetched, but this one leaf floating above the trees could be seen as a symbol to the perishableness of outer beauty, whereas the poem and the song (the way I see it) deal with rising above this standard. While thinking of the women who've made an impact, either as friends or otherwise, it's the feel set on us by their spirit that's caught back. Understanding is key to any human relationship. Not some silly fashion nonsense.